Chalkboards UK and the Environment
Chalkboards UK takes it environmental responsibilities extremely seriously. As part of the Porter and Woodman Group it signs up to the following codes of practise.
- Recycling - all waste paper, cardboard and wood is sent for recycling. All offices have two waste bins, one for land-fill rubbish, the other for recyclable waste.
- E-mails - all staff are encouraged not to print out received e-mails and documents unless absolutely necessary.
- Company Cars - there are no company cars within the business. Mileage allowance is provided, but staff are encouraged to plan their journeys as efficiently as possible. eg. A sales call in London will be combined with as many other calls as possible in the area or en-route.
- Deliveries- Wherever possible, an overnight courier service is used, ensuring efficient use of logistics. If same day delivery is required, local courier companies or our own vehicles are used. Porter and Woodman also operates a co-operative system with its suppliers, where deliveries to the same or nearby destinations are combined, eliminating duplicated journeys.
- Wood and Paper Purchasing- as suppliers of raw materials take their environmental responsibilities ever more seriously, it is difficult to find any wood or paper material that isn't either FSC or PEFC registered.
All the timber products we buy come from countries affiliated to the FSC.
The softwood we purchase comes from Scandinavian mills who are not only audited by the FSC but also ascribe to their own country's stringent environmental policies - more trees are planted than are cut down.